Chicago Marathon 2012

Chicago Marathon 2012
You Can Still Run For A Cause!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Beware! Skunks and other critters.


I live near a park, said park is nicely wooded. has a pond, trails. and plenty of play space for man and other animals.

This evening I took the bird for a walk. More specifically, I walked. He rode on my shoulder and made comments loudly in my ear. We saw the usual geese (they're still scary), and dogs (no reaction what so ever to any dog bird-boy has ever met) and tonight we stumbled across a skunk.

I almost stepped on it, the furry bugger was that close. At first I thought it was a cat and then I smelled it. I froze, it looked at me, the bird wisely chose that moment to hide in my hair and the skunk went on its merry way.

It scared the bejezus out of me. I think almost as much as the time I stepped (literally) on a mouse in the woods and it didn't die, just ran around in circles until it flopped over and twitched. At least the skunk survived and green bean and I didn't get sprayed.

So tonight Green Bean and I are counting our blessings and thankful that we don't stink like a ten year old craptastic skunked beer and weasel ass.

No offense to the smelly ones, but I think Beanie and I will stick to afternoon walks when the skunks are sleeping even if there are more scary geese around. At least they warn you before you're close...

1 comment:

Toni said...

I came across a skunk once when getting up in the middle of the night while camping, to go to the bathroom. Needless to say, I just about wet my pants right then and there! I was shocked at how huge this skunk was. Like you, I froze in my tracks. I then walked backwards all the way back to the camp and didn't got out again until the light of day.